Meat Free Monday
Being Irish, I just had to feature a potato recipe at some stage. I love potatoes – boiled, mashed, baked, chipped, roasted and made into these tasty potato cakes. Kale is a species of cabbage considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties and a cancer-fighting food.
Potato Cakes with Curly Kale
- 500g baking potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 75g curly kale, finely shredded
- 50g butter
- 2 tsp carraway seeds
- 3tsp grainy mustard
- 2 medium free range egg yolks
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
1. Bring the potatoes to boil in a medium sized saucepan and then simmer slowly for 30 minutes until cooked. Drain and dry slightly in the pan before mashing or putting through a potato ricer.
2. Saute the kale in half the butter until soft. Add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Mix together the potato, vegetables, mustard, egg yolk and crème fraiche in a large bowl, and then form into 4 large cakes (or 8 small ones).
4. Heat the remaining butter in a large non-stick frying pan and gently cook the potato cakes on both sides until dark golden and crispy.
Serve with a shredded white cabbage and carrot salad.
You Irish colleen!
Mmmh liking the sound of these.
I like the sound of these 🙂
It’s a different variation on the usual potato cakes I make but sounds good
I like the addition of carraway seeds – would never have thought of that but think I will try adding them to my cabbage next time I cook it.
nice recipe 🙂 never heard of potato “cakes” before