Meat Free Monday
I do admire Jamie Oliver for his passion in empowering everyone to learn how to cook easy meals for themselves. He is, by all accounts, taking the US by storm and aiming to do for them what he has done in the UK with his Ministry of Food concept. Today’s recipe is taken from the Ministry of Food cook-book – a very simple rice salad, perfect for the hopefully nice summer days that are on their way.
Jamie’s Rice Salad
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g mixed long grain and wild rice
- Fresh basil and flat leaf parsley leaves
- 200g roasted red peppers (from jar or freshly roasted)
- 1/2 fresh red chilli
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons lemon dressing
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Add the rice and cook it according to the packet instructions.
- Once cooked, drain the rice in a sieve and spread it out on a tray to help it cool down quickly.
- Meanwhile, pick all the herb leaves off the stalks.
- Finely chop the peppers.
- Halve, deseed and finely chop your chilli.
- Make your lemon dressing.
- Put your cooked rice into a serving bowl.
- Finely chop your herb leaves and add them to the bowl, together with the peppers and chili.
- Zest over your lemon, add the dressing and mix well.