Meat Free Monday
Today’s Meat Free Monday recipe is an easy salad which makes a great light supper dish or a tasty lunch.
Haloumi with Lentil Salad
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 250g block haloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine lentils, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, mint, lemon juice and oil in a bowl. Season then toss to combine.
- Cut haloumi lengthways into 8 slices. Pat-dry with paper towels. Dust lightly with flour and shake off excess.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook haloumi, in batches, for 2 minutes each side, or until golden.
- Drain haloumi on paper towels. Serve lentil salad topped with warm haloumi.
Recipe by Tracy Rutherford