Meat Free Monday
Here is a recipe for a meat free lasagne which is really delicious – in fact I think this tastes so much better than the meat version for those of you still needing some convincing. This recipe is for a large amount (serves 8) but I always cook more and freeze any leftovers.
Meat Free Lasagne
- 9 whole wheat lasagna sheets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium courgette/zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium aubergine/eggplant, sliced
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the lasagna according to directions. When cooked through, set aside on paper towels to dry.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, courgette/zucchini and aubergine/eggplant, and cook until tender. Mix in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with spices. Simmer for five to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses.
- Evenly coat the bottom of a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with about a half cup of the sauce. Remove another half-cup of the sauce and set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna: Top the sauce in the baking dish with an even layer of noodles, cutting to fit the pan if necessary. Spread half of the cheese mixture over the lasagna noodles. Then layer with half of the remaining sauce mixture. Repeat.
- Top the final layer of lasagne with the reserved half-cup of sauce. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.
Cover with tin foil and bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes until the cheese has browned.
I am a meat eater, but i actually do prefer a well made meatless lasagne – more flavor – this fits the bill nicely
look forward to your meat free monday recipes each week.
Nice recipe 🙂
This looks yummy!! Can’t wait to try it.