Meat Free Monday
Chickpeas which are high in protein are part of my store cupboard essentials. They are a good source of zinc and folate and and are also very high in dietary fiber and low in fat.I usually have both the dried and tinned varieties of pulses to hand. The dried taste marginally better and it feels more virtuous to do the whole soaking over-night thing (I add in some kombu seaweed to the water when soaking them); but when I am less organized, the tins are fantastic to have on stand-by.
- 1 ripe avocado, cut in half, skin and stone removed
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tbs tahini
- aprox 3 tsb juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the avocado hummus to a bowl and cover with cling film. Chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Serve in bowls with pitta breads.