Meat Free Monday
I love the addition of fruit in a salad and this is one of my all-time favourites. It is a sublime marriage of flavours – juicy pears with peppery rocket and creamy gorgonzola and for added crunch – some toasted walnuts. It is so simple and easy to prepare and looks very attractive on the plate.
Pear, walnut and gorgonzola salad
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 just ripe pears
- 100g rocket leaves
- 50g gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add walnuts and cook for a few minutes until starting to turn golden brown. Watch carefully as they can burn easily. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Quarter pears, core and cut each quarter into two pieces. Arrange the rocket on a plate and add pears.
- Sprinkle through the walnuts and crumble cheese on top.
- Make the dressing by combining the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and leave until last minute before drizzling over the salad.
Tip: If you want to prepare the salad a few hours in advance, place the pears in the salad bowl, pour in the lemon juice and coat the pears to prevent them turning brown. Place rocket on top, then parmesan and walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge until needed. Just before serving, add oil, salt and pepper and toss well to combine.
This sounds utterly scrumptious!!!
I make a version of this salad using blue cheese instead of gorgonzola – it is a delicious dish!
I use parmesan cheese in my version – also delicious
This is one of my favorite salads too 🙂
Made it – loved it!
Deffo gonna give this one a try