Meat Free Monday
Another autumnal recipe and a sweet treat into the bargain for you today. Baking these apples will fill your kitchen with the most divine smells of apple, cinnamon, toasted nuts and the scent of citrus scent.
- ¼ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Medjool dates, pitted and finely diced
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 baking apples
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Apple juice, for baking
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine pecans, dates, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon and salt. Stir.
2. Core the apples, leaving half an inch at the bottom and peel top edges. Stuff the apples with pecan filling and dot with butter. Put the apples in a baking pan, pour about 1 inch of apple juice over apples and cover tightly with foil. Bake 40-60 minutes, till apples are tender but not mushy. Poke with a fork to test if done.
3. Serve apples warm, drizzled with the apple juice from the baking pan.
This recipe sounds wonderful! I will definitely be giving this one a try soon. Thanks.
Oh I love baked apples – have done them in the past but never thought of adding these other ingredients – liking the sound of this!
MMMh! I can just imagine all those wonderful smells filling the kitchen – worth it alone for that 🙂
A lovely simple autumn dessert!