Meat Free Monday
Today’s recipe of baked tomatoes stuffed with quinoa makes a tasty supper dish. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is simply bursting with vitamin B and iron and is a wonderful grain as it contains all 8 essential amino acids, which makes it a unique complete food. The ancient Incas honored this protein dense food, making it a staple in their everyday diet. It is now gaining more recognition and becoming a valuable vegetarian source of protein.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs – I use parsley and basil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a small saucepan, toss the quinoa in 1 tablespoon olive oil, then pour in the stock and add some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour 1 tablepsoon olive oil in a non stick pan and saute the chopped onions with the herbs and lemon juice over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Scoop the quinoa into the pan and mix thoroughly until blended to make a stuffing.
- Create a lid for each tomato by cutting around the stalk about 5 mm deep., Remove the top and set it aside. Scoop out the seeds of each tomato and some of the loose pulp. Now spoon equal amounts of the stuffing into the cavities of each tomato.
- Put the tomatoes into a baking dish and garnish with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and bake for 25 mins.